Saturday, April 4, 2009

Jamaal Tinsley: Where Have You Gone

It seems like it was only yesterday, my shaved headed, balding, questionably overweight point guarded friend, that you were turning the ball over at a rapid rate on a nightly basis.

Alas, you've been out of the media spotlight, or any spotlight for that matter, for quite some time now. Where are you, I wonder, as this 2009 NBA season comes to a close without so much of single glimpse of the former Cyclone.

Jamaal "Mel Mel The Abuser" Tinsley had it rough, right from jump street of his NBA career. In what would turn out to be a ill portent of things to come in his career, he was drafted near the bottom of the first round in 2001 to the Vancouver Grizzlies. Almost immediately, no one wanted him. On draft night, he was shipped to Atlanta, and from there, to Indiana. Three cities, one night.

"It was rough, no doubt," Tinsley said, reflecting on his early career. "I mean, I'd never been to Vancouver before, so when I heard that they had picked me, I was like, f**k that. Then, Atlanta woulda been aight, I mean, I hear there's a lot of black people there. But, damn, Indiana? How many black people are there?"

Unfortunately, a few too many, to the detriment of Tinsley's career, as it would turn out. If Anthony Johnson and Kenny Anderson hadn't been playing for the Pacers a few years into his career, Tinsley might have kept his starting job. It was not to be.

From that point forward, erratic play, weight issues, and other attitude related issues have plagued the Rucker Park-made point guard.

"Yeah, it was a struggle," Tinsley admitted. "There were times, no question, when I thought, hell with it, I'm gonna go back and play ball at the Rucker again. Forget this whole NBA thing. But then, I thought, nah, f**k that."

Only three times has he played over 70 games in a season. Only three times has he averaged over 10 points a game.

But, throughout his short career, he has turned the ball over at a phenomenal rate, and coupled with a sagging shooting percentage, few, including Tinsley himself, could figure out why he was treated so poorly this year.

"Basically, they were like, we ain't gonna need you for practice tomorrow. So I'm like, cool, day off. I'll see you tomorrow then? And they're like, nah, not then either. So I'm thinking, wow, four day weekend! But then, they were like, nah, it's not like that. We're just not gonna need you for anything. At all. Any more."

Suffice to say, he was stunned, and how could you blame him? He had played 39 full games the previous season, and managed to shoot under 40% for a second consecutive year.

"You know how hard it is to shoot that bad? I mean, everytime down, I'm thinking, what's the worst possible shot I can take, the worst decision I can make to derail my team's chances of scoring? Maybe a no-look? How about some wrap-around s**t? Or one of them pull-up, fadeaway joints? Point is, it ain't easy being as unreliable as I was."

Effectively, the Pacers put Jamaal Tinsley in timeout. For the rest of the year. He has been sent home, his name removed from the locker room, his memory erased from the minds of millions. His grievance case will likely be heard in the coming months, but, at this point, who really cares?

"I have to be honest, I'm kind of getting used to this whole getting paid for doin' nothing thing. It's kinda hot," a relaxed Tinsley said, sipping a Dunkachino outside his home earlier this week.

And so for now, dear friends, the question isn't, "where have you gone, Jamaal Tinsley?" but, more appropriately, "why did you not go there sooner?"

No comments:

Post a Comment